Monday, November 2, 2009

BP3_2009111_Google_Reader


Research and choose five RSS feeds for educational purposes. Briefly explain why you chose each one and how it will benefit you in your profession.

The first RSS feed that I chose was BBC Education World Edition. The reason that I chose this is because although we tend to get wrapped up in our day to day life in this country, education happens all around the world and it is interesting and important to be aware of educational happenings worldwide.

The second RSS feed that I chose was TEDTalks. The reason that I chose TEDTalks is because the videos and presentations are kept to a 20 minute limit and in today’s busy world, I appreciate being able to gain quality information that is relevant and important in a short amount of time and in video form. TEDTalks is definitely about maximizing information in a short amount of time.

The third RSS feed that I chose was Edutopia. Edutopia is a teacher’s best friend for finding out what is happening in education and for the most cutting edge research and methods for the classroom and teaching in general. As far as educational websites go, this is a favorite of mine.

The fourth RSS feed that I chose was NOVA from PBS. I have to admit that I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to learning about new things. I like knowing about science and nature and gaining new information. I love it when a student asks me a question that would traditionally be out of my area of “expertise” and I can answer it without missing a beat. NOVA provides me with that type of information.

The last RSS feed that I chose was also from PBS but it is the Tavis Smiley feed. Tavis Smiley is a black journalist and political commentator. He also does a bit of motivational work but he namely is known for his TV talk show in which he sits down with renowned public figures and has conversations with them. Again, this feed allows me to gain information that I can share and discuss with my students.

All of the RSS feeds I chose were selected because I could go to any of them and find something interesting that I could easily print out and have my students read, discuss and write an opinion paper on and possibly even have them do some further research.

No comments:

Post a Comment